A challenge facing the parish is the preservation and restoration of the Newtowne Manor House. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places and placed in 2010 on the Endangered Maryland list by Preservation Maryland, the house was an integral part of the Jesuit community that began here around 1668. An archeological examination of the church grounds that took place in the early 1980s discovered the existence of an earlier Manor House located between the church building and the present day Manor House. The earlier house was built around 1721. The construction of the present day structure is estimated to be around 1789. The Manor House was occupied into the early 1980s by the Delahay family but has been vacant since then.
Over the centuries the Manor House, noted for its Georgian style architecture, has undergone several transformations. Originally a two story structure with a gambrel roof, in 1861 an additional half story was added and the roof took on its gable form. Historic photos show the attic dormers on, off and on again. The dormers you see today were rebuilt during a roof restoration in 1989.
In 2013 a group of interested parishioners and local community members formed the Friends of the Newtowne Manor House to begin the process to preserve and restore this historic structure.
The group meets once a month and welcomes new members. See the links on the right for more information.
For a detailed history of the Manor House and its connection to the present day parish of St. Francis Xavier see this article in the Chronicles of St. Mary's County.
See this timeline for a condensed history of the parish from 1640-2012.
See this list of talking-points for some background on the restoration and some recent developments.